Whether you are out hunting for waterfowl with your dog, taking a boating trip or just going for a swim, a dog vest with floatation design is a great piece of kit to invest in.
Having the correct equipment is vital for any outdoor sport if it is to be enjoyed worry free, especially when you are around water.
Floatation vests not only aid in buoyancy for your dog, but they can act as a protection barrier and insulator against the cold too.
Here, we’ve done the research, taken different sports and needs into account and come up with our 7 best dog vests designed with floatation in mind so you can find the one that’s best for you and your K9 companion.
Top 3 Hunting Dog Vests With In-Built Flotation
- MeALPS OutdoorZ Topflight Dog Vest ndota Products Skid Plate – Our Pick
- IDOMIK Dog Life Vest– Budget Pick
- Rig’Em Right Waterfowl Bloodline Elite Dog Vest – Great Pick
ALPS OutdoorZ Topflight Dog Vest - Our Pick
- Our new and improved Topflight Dog Vests have a contoured neck design for a better fit
- Made of warm, protective 5mm Neoprene with two floatation pads, adding additional buoyancy
- Multiple bar-tacked areas make trimming easy for a perfect fit around neck and leg areas
- Equipped with easy lift handles and dog leash clip
- X-Large Neck Dimensions: 20", X-Large Chest Dimensions: 32"
The main feature of the ALPS OutdoorZ Topflight Dog Vest that is echoed throughout the customer reviews is its ability to be trimmed to the correct fit for your own dog. This removes the risk of rubbing, chaffing or hair loss that can be the downfall of an ill-fitting jacket.
Closure is done via both a zip and Velcro fastening which makes for a strong and robust closure system. The vest shape has also been praised by reviewers as it covers the body well on the back, chest and belly.
The 5mm thick camo print neoprene fabric adds a layer of both insulation and protection which makes this a great floatation vest for hunting sports.
We chose the ALPS OutdoorZ Topflight Dog Vest as Our Pick for all these reasons plus it’s at a great middle of the way price point too. Definitely one to check out if you’re into duck hunting or other waterfowl sports.
IDOMIK Dog Life Vest - Budget Pick
- ★SUPER SAFE: ★ Upgraded durable and convenient rescue handle at the top of the vest (located on the pups back when worn) which is solidly attached to the vest. You can take your dog off the water very easily by grabbing the handle on the top of the swimming jacket, so your dog is always under my control and keep away from any danger. And the heavy-duty D-ring hook is perfect for dog leash to prevent your dog from running around.
- ★ADJUSTABLE: ★The vest wraps around the pup with magic tapes and is further secured by side release buckles. Straps on neck and belly are well placed, adjustable to allow room for growth, and the release buckles ensure easy taking on and off. The straps provided enough room for her to grow into this life vest and wear it while she gets bigger.
- ★SAVE ENERGY: ★ The dog life jacket works perfectly in the water and the pup is able to cruise around without having to exert too much energy. The cutting of the neck material is more ergonomic. If your pet got tired in the middle of the lake this would keep him afloat. Get this for your dog so s/he can relax in the water and not be worried about having to keep afloat.
- ★HIGH VISIBILITY: ★Reflective dog life Jacket with bright color, new high visibility reflective straps on neck and belt, which is easy to see if he falls in the Canal Ocean or in danger! The vest drys pretty quickly after taking it off and leaving it out in the sun.
- ★OCCASIONS: ★Our dog life vest is suitable for many occasions such as on the beach, in the lake, pool or river, or doing kayaking, boating, surfing, camping, fishing and swimming. This vest can give him/her the confidence to swim and help to improve her swimming. 6 sizes with 4 colors, fits for Small, Medium and Large Dogs.
The IDOMIK Dog Life Vest offers a great budget option that ticks a lot of the design boxes we’ve set.
Not only is it a great Hi-visibility floatation vest that comes in 4 different colours, but it also includes large reflective strips that really help your pup stand out when in the water.
This vest also comes in a large range of sizes from XS to XXL. Combine this with the adjustable chest strap and quick release buckles, it’s easy to find a fit that suits almost any size of dog.
A great budget dog life vest for many activities including swimming, boating, kayaking, surfing and more.
Rig'Em Right Waterfowl Bloodline Elite Dog Vest - Great Pick
- 3-Layer Construction - The unique 3-layer construction of the upper material consists of 3mm neoprene gives a next to "skin" for warmth and comfort
- Increased Protection - Built with a thin layer of foam for added flotation, and an outer layer of heavy-duty canvas for protection from brush and briers
- Designed for Perfection - Features 5mm neoprene throughout the chest for flexibility and warmth, and a sturdy braided handle to help you buddy back in the blind
- Comfortable and Mobile - This vest has a more athletic cut around the neck and between the front legs to provide better mobility without rubbing and bunching
- Rig'Em Right - Producers of the most well-designed and well-built products, tried and tested by the most heavily seasoned waterfowlers on the planet. Our gear consistently dominates the category for sales and performance
If you and you K9 friend are more suited to hunting sports ahead of surfing, then this Rig’Em Right Waterfowl Dog Vest may be for you.
Made of quality and well-constructed materials, the 3-layered design gives warmth, protection and floatation for your dog all in one.
The shape of the Rig’Em right dog vest provides a useful protective layer across the chest, sides and belly which really helps prevent nicks, scrapes and puncture wounds when running through course undergrowth.
The 5mm neoprene layer adds insulation as well as quick drying to the list of benefits found within this vest. And the thin layer of foam inside the vest acts as a floatation aid which also makes this vest great for dogs who love to track waterfowl.
Available in different camo patterns and a range of sizes, this vest has been highly reviewed by seasoned hunters as a great vest for their 4-legged friends.
GUGULUZA Neoprene Dog Vest
- ◆NOTE ◆:Size:
1. Small (15" Neck, 24" Chest)
2. Medium (17" Neck, 26" Chest)
3. Large (18" Neck, 28" Chest)
4. XL (19" Neck, 31" Chest)
5. XXL (20" Neck, 33" Chest)
6. XXXL (21" Neck, 35" Chest)
- 5mm Neoprene chest protection vest with top grab handle ,Quick-grab slot handles for effortless re-entry
- Abrasion-resistant fabric on chest and belly for added protection
- Heavy-duty molded nylon zipper; Easy-grip cold weather pull tab
- Double tacked seams for customization,Tapered design for maximum coverage
Another floatation vest designed especially for waterfowl hunting dogs is the GUGLUZA Neoprene Dog Vest. Designed for both floatation and protection, the 5mm neoprene fabric on the chest shield is both puncture and brush resistant.
As with the other hunting vest designs, the neoprene layer here works as a thermal insulator to help keep your dog warm in cooler temperatures.
The coverage of this vest is also good for hunting dogs as it provides a shield against scrapes and scratches on the chest, back, belly and side areas.
Along with the integrated floatation padding, this vest also comes with extra compartments on the side for adding additional foam if you wish to increase the buoyancy.
Hard Core Brands 04-300-0004 Water Dog Neo-Vest
Looking for a hunting floatation vest for a larger dog, then take a look at the Hard Core Brands Water Dog Neo-Vest.
This extra-large size vest fits dogs with a 19” neck measurement and 31” chest.
Made of lightweight and breathable neoprene, it secures closed with a Velcro fastening for a great fit. Decorated with a real tree max-5 camo print, this sleek design is created for hunting dogs.
The easy-grip handles on the top of the vest make a useful addition for helping your dog into a boat or hunting blind. And of course, it comes with an added floatation lining for increased buoyancy.
ThinkPet Dog Life Jacket
- Intensive Dog Flotation Vest - This dog life jacket provides considerable buoyancy help your dog move freely when in water or on boat and can be used for swimming training
- Safety Dog Swim Vest - The dog water vest Highly visible reflective strips and bright color, easier to spot in the dark and avoid possible accidents
- Rescue Handle Dog Life Vest - The life jackets for dogs has a top Grab handle for better control. Can be used to pull your pet from water when necessary
- Easy to Pull on and off - The dog life jacket large has quick release buckles and hook and loop fasteners for securely fastening,easy to be put on and off,make a snug fit for your dog
- Comfortable Extra Large Dog Life Jacket - Your pet will not feel too hot or uncomfortable to put on clothes. Because they dissipate heat with their tongue.On the contrary, they can resist ultraviolet ray well and protect their skin better.
Prefer to have a Hi-visibility dog vests? Then check out the ThinkPet Dog Life Jacket.
Built with 2 layers of EVA foam for extra buoyancy, it’s a great pick for dogs who love water sports.
The base layer is made up of fast drying neoprene and it’s topped with a strong, tear resistant Nylon fabric for durability.
Available in 3 bright colours, each one has reflective trims for that extra visibility and security.
We like the strong grab handle and added D-ring that are on the top of this vest. So not only can you attach a leash or longline to the vest, but you can also quickly and easily lift your dog out of the water if necessary.
Kuoser High Visibility Dog Life Jacket
- 【DURABLE MATERIAL & SUPER FLOATATION】 The dog life jackets are made of high-quality five-cell PU Oxford cloth, filled with pearl cotton foam which offers maximum floatation in the water. The oxford fabric is ripstop and waterproof allowing for quick dry.
- 【HIGH VISIBILITY & SAFETY】Bright color(pink, orange and yellow), Reflective bands & straps, Durable rescue handle and high visibility fabric, it’s easy to see if he falls in deep water! So your dog is always under control and keep away from any danger.
- 【DOUBLE D-RING FOR LEASH】There are two D-ring buckles on both side of the rescue handle, suitable for you to use the dog leash without collar or harness.
- 【EASY ON AND EASY OFF】 Adjustable belts, quick-release buckles and one-piece magic tape to make your dog fit comfortably, easy to put on and take off.
- 【6 SIZES FIT FOR MOST DOGS】 Available in 6 sizes for the pet swimming vest. Suit for from puppy to large dogs breeds. Please Measure Your Dog Twice and check our size chart in product description carefully before order.
Another great choice of Hi-viz dog vests is the Kuoser High Visibility Dog Life Jacket. It’s filled with EPE pearl foam for superior floatation so it’s great for dogs who will be swimming around deeper water.
Just like the ThinkPet jacket mentioned above, this vest has a complete wrap around design, meaning it’s easy to put on and take off your pet. Both the neck and the side closures are secured with a layer of Velcro and adjustable quick release buckles.
The design of the chest fastener also acts like a neck support, helping to keep your dog’s head above water.
This vest is available in a selection of bright colours which all have reflective strips throughout so it’s a great option as a Hi-visibility flotation dog vest.
Tip: The fit on this vest is reported to be slightly on the small side. Pay close attention to the sizing guide provided and size up if your pup is close to the size guide threshold.
What Are The Features Of A Good Dog Floatation Vest?
Below we’ve listed the main design features that we think a good floatation vest for your dog should have. These include:
- Even floatation pads through out the vest
- A comfortable but snug fit to support, not hinder, your dog in the water
- Strong grab handle on top
- A thermal layer to keep your dog warm while in the water
- Quick drying and lightweight fabric
Vests should also be chosen for your dog depending on their use. For normal water sports and boating trips a Hi-visibility and reflective design would be beneficial. However, camo designs and muted colour tones would most likely be preferable for hunting dogs.